Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Best Day and Tulip Festival

Pink Tulips up close
Wet Pink Tulip Petal
That Saturday was one of the BEST'est days I have seen in Seattle in about a year. No kidding, I'm not exaggerating.  It was only one of the 2-3 days that the Sun was out for a whole day with no rains, no clouds and temperature comfortably hovering a little over 60F (15C).  Ok, I give it to you that I'm only talking about weekends, because a sunny weekday is only as useful as a 3-1/2 inch floppy inside a Lightscribe CD Drive (lame analogy, I know, I'm on a roll!).
IMG_6789
Yellow Tulips Field with Cascasdes in the backdrop
It was a perfect day _NOT_ to spend waste at the office (like all the other weekends ~~sigh~~), so we had already decided to visit Skagit Tulip Festival. Looking back, a hike would have been orders of magnitude more exhilarating, but I was more than glad just to step out into the open air.  With some last-minute changes in plan more people wanted to join and while one group was running late in spite of my insistence of being out-of-the door by 0800hrs. After waiting for long (restlessly) I said let one group go ahead while the second joins.  So we started off at early around 0930 hours and luckily didn't hit any traffic (neither on I-5 nor on the internal roads). The second group (who started 20 minutes after us came more than an hour and a half later). A colleague of mine at office, I later learned, left at noon for the festival and was stuck in a 20+ long miles traffic jam! Indeed, while returning I counted the line on other side of the freeway, it had come to a crawl for 10 miles, after which I stopped paying attention on the other side (because I was driving :-P).
Long story short, I was as ecstatic for being out in the sun with clear skies as a kid is when you let him loose in a candy store with his favorite Disney Characters. I felt alive again!  I am not a bot no more.  I pray to thee, for you give life, Sun!  I was breathing sun :D
The weather forecast looks abysmal for rest of the Spring, so I hope I make best of the days that are good (read: sunny).
Here are some shots form my Tulips Album for the year 2011.

Pink Tulips
Beautiful Pink Tulips
IMG_6815
Tulips by a Pond
IMG_6857
At the Heart of Every Tulip!
IMG_6926
And now time for one nice Group Photo
Full Album here: Tulip Festival 2011!

Additional Info:
2011 seems the worst year on record with the fewest number of days above 55F, per one blogger on his/her post: Are Northwest Springs Getting Worse?

2 comments:

Always Happy said...

Hi Atul,

I can understand your excitement about a sunny day. I live in England and we dont get to see much of sunight too. And that is why we get elated happiness on those very few days that the sun comes out. Rest of the days we ask each other 'what is sunshine?'

Good to know you enjoyed your day. very nice pics.

The Shaolin said...

Always Happy Reader, so I'm not the only one :D.
Thanks for compliments on photos.